Much of our spare time this year was spent on the pagoda project, so that routine garden maintenance jobs were somewhat neglected, until recently. However we have nearly caught up now, despite the time spent clearing up the fallen conifer. The year old contents of our leaf-mould tower have been spread over our Epimediums, growing in the beds. Our large bin containing perhaps three cubic yards of homemade garden compost has been spread over beds containing other perennials.
On inclement days while I have been writing blogs or working on the aquariums, Linda has been busy with her scissors, tape measure and sewing machine, making cushions for our four triangular pagoda seats. We searched for a considerable time on eBay for an oriental fabric suitable for upholstery, and the final choice was one depicting koi carp.
We purchased this and foam as well as lining fabric to go under the koi material. We tried them out today and they certainly make the seats more comfortable and warmer on a day when hail is falling!
We didn’t notice our latest victim of storm damage until a couple of days after storm Eleanor.
The tree was a Western Hemlock conifer (Tsuga heterophylla)
probably, over forty years old and sixty feet tall.
It was growing out of a stand of bamboo, Sasa palmata and the base of the trunk shattered with half of the bowl lifting and half remaining in the ground. It fell in an Easterly direction completely crossing over our right hand neighbours’ garden and going well into their right hand neighbours’ property.
In both gardens it lay across garden sheds without doing significant damage. Linda and I with some help from our neighbours managed to get it down from over the sheds without any further damage and to cut it up into portable, split-able lengths in one day.